25% offretail $79.99 Sale Price $59.99 + ships freeWatch PART NUM 688266
Great item for your bike.
waterproof, easy to install, fast to put on bike and take off. The backpack is fairly comfortable.
it is a bit heavy for the amount of space it can hold
I would definitely recommend this pannier/ backpack. other water resistant items like it you would have to dig out a cover in the rain to add to it.
This is really one of the only backpack to pannier options that actually works as both. The design is simple but brilliant. You just snap it off the rack and turn it around and you have a backpack.
It's a bit heavy (I wouldn't make it touring), and the pocket on one side is unnecessarily small. Also the elastic snapped once when I was trying to get it on the rack.
Would definitely recommend. There is really nothing else on the market comparable.
Great combo bag
Easily and seamlessly transitions from pannier to backpack
Plenty of room, works great both as a pannier and as a backpack:
The top strap loosens too easily, could use a few more pockets
- Design - the top flap has a pocket with openings on both sides which means that you can access that stuff (phone, keys etc) in either mode (backpack or pannier)
- Easy to take on/off rack on the bike and secure fit on the rack
- Aesthetics - i really like the appearance
- Value - all other convertible bags that were waterproof were significantly more money
- flap keeps backpack strap area clean when biking in rainy conditions which is nice
- its actually really comfy in backpack mode (even has a sternum strap). I'd use it as my everyday backpack even when not biking except that i keep my spare tire and pump in there and dont want to be removing it all the time or carrying them when not needed
- waterproof! (and it actually is. have ridden in the rain)
- the bungee cord thing (used to keep the bag attached to the rack) wasn't tied tight enough when delivered so it came undone. Bag could have fallen but luckily this didnt happen in transit. just tighten that knot before your first ride and you'll be fine
- there is one pocket large enough for a water bottle or u lock on one side of the bag and then a zipper pocket on the opposite side. I wish that zipper pocket was a bit bigger.
- it would be nice to have an easy place to attach a helmet like that thing you see on some other bags.
Overall, its a great bag. I researched a lot prior to buying and am super happy with the result. It just looks way nicer than some of the other ones out there and the price is right.
I use it for commuting and just going to places around brooklyn, manhattan, and queens. Having the backpack functionality means i can take all of those little things people snatch off your bike (lights, bike pump, etc) with me easily when I park.
good backpack pannier
Of the Backpack pannier designs I have seen, this is the simplest, and most efficient I am aware of. You just flip the flap, buckle, undo the strap retention and you're good to go. I like the design, the quality workmanship, the materials and the reasonable price point. I like the deep U-lock pocket that doubles as a large water bottle pocket. I also like having the zippered pocket on the flap for quick organized access to cell phone, keys, wallet etc.
The rail for rack attachment is lacking. I immediately removed the rail and mounted an Ortlieb rail to mine for quick one handed release and secure attachment. lack of internal organization. I would really appreciate a laptop pocket and some padding on the inside. I removed the waterproof bag from mine. The Zippered pocket opposite the U-lock pocket is unnecessarily small. If it were the same size as the U-lock pocket the bag would be more symmetrical and the pocket would be more useful. Also the zippered pocket on the flap seems unnecessarily small too. It seems like it was sewn small even though there was room for it to be bigger without making the flap bigger.
I love this bag. I use it everyday and it beats trying to lug a regular pannier around over your shoulder when you are on foot. That said, with a few tweaks this bag good be much better. All pannier companies need to either figure out a way to copy Ortlieb's rail system with infringing on patents, or make their rail systems more easily removable. it was a real pain drilling out all of the rivets on this bag to remove the rail attachment. Ortlieb's rail is leaps and bounds superior for anyone who is regularly on and off their bike with a pannier (getting groceries, bike/hiking, commuting to work, etc).
it IS a pannier and it IS a backpack!
It really is both a pannier and a nice backpack! My back is not sweaty when I arrive to my destination. I am well balanced on my bike even when pannier is fully loaded. Then I smoothly remove the pannier, flip the flap over and voila, I have a snazzy backpack with sternum strap. It has a waterproof liner, an open pocket big enough for a large water bottle, another large zipped pocket and the flap pocket is accessible from both sides. If I solely need a backpack, like for a hike or laptop/school supplies, I use a standard pack. But for any day I bike, I use this amazing pannier/backpack!
After some fiddling with adjusting the length of the lower pannier attachment (read: ducktape), I love this bag.
Write a review
Would you like to write reviews of the products you've bought from Modern Bike? You can help other Modern Bike customers make informed buying decisions! Write Product Reviews